Because epoxy flooring is so strong and durable, it has become a popular choice within many buildings. Since this material is resistant to oil, grease, chemicals, tire marks, and more, it is also ideal for garages and commercial plants.
When properly applied, epoxy flooring is great, but even small mistakes can lead to big problems, compromising both appearance and functionality. However, by following a few guidelines, you can avoid an array of issues.
- Poor Quality Materials – As a professional contractor, you have specific responsibilities to your clients. One of these involves choosing the highest quality product available. This is why many people in Orlando depend on the experts at Select Surface Solutions for superior epoxy flooring material. We offer a wide range of commercial-grade, environmentally friendly materials used for concrete building and remodeling of both residential and commercial properties.
- Wrong Type of Epoxy – Epoxy material comes in several different formulas. For instance, high build coating works best in high-foot traffic and light to moderate forklift traffic areas, where abrasion resistant qualities are essential. There is also an electrostatic dissipative coating designed to provide electrostatic control properties for different surfaces. Another type of epoxy coating is chemical resistant, which offers protection to steel, chemical concrete, and other structural materials.
- Improper Floor Preparation – Another key factor after choosing quality epoxy flooring material in Orlando is surface preparation. Of all reasons epoxy floors fail, this is at the top of the list. Concrete must be properly prepared, which goes beyond sweeping. Remember, for epoxy coatings to adhere, it needs a porous surface. Therefore, the surface should be void of all contaminants and, at a minimum, acid etched or ground.
- Too Much Moisture – Another mistake when applying epoxy flooring has to do with too much moisture in the concrete. Prior to epoxy being applied, the surface needs to dry for at least 24 hours. However, because Orlando has a lot of humidity, it could take twice as long.
- Mixing Errors – In most instances, epoxy is mixed with additional ingredients, as well as color pigmentation. Unless the resin or hardener is mixed correctly, the coating will not be able to cure properly. To ensure the surface is not sticky, components need to be mixed using the right proportions and for the correct period of time.
For more information on applying epoxy flooring material in Orlando, contact Select Surface Solutions. We can even provide your company with a private training course.